Monday, July 29, 2013

ALC215 Week 2: Globalization, Ethnoscapes, Migration and Me

Globalization is one of those complex phenomena that seem to have hundreds (maybe even thousands) of different definitions floating around the internet. It has been described by various theorists as 'the compression of time and space' (Baumann 1999), 'the compression of the world and the intensification of consciousness of the world as a whole' (Rantanan, 2005) as well as being discussed in great depth by theorists such as McLuhan
in his hypothesis about the global village.


With all that in mind, I've decided to blog about the ethnoscapes and financescapes associated with globalization and how it relates to me. So, both my sets of grandparents emigrated from Greece in the 60's, and although it's something I've never really looked in to in any depth, but I've always assumed it was partly due to political unrest, partly due to economic problems and partly due to them simply wanting a better quality of life. Their move to Melbourne characterizes Appadurai's thinking on so called 'ethnoscapes', which he phrases as the 'landscapes of group identity' which he also points out are no longer bound by physical borders. Australia as a whole is a good example of this as the country is mostly populated by a myriad of different ethno-cultural groups, who still identify themselves with their country of origin. Although like many, my extended family still indulge in specific forms of media from their own countries and printed in their own languages, either through satellite television, the internet, or old school print media.

In terms of how this has effected myself and my family, looking at the current state of Greece it's fair to say that the quality of life and education is a drastic improvement on what I could've been born into otherwise. Kinda scary to think in another life I could possibly be getting around in one of these without globalization and the effects of these 'scapes'.

  
Travellerspoint.com

'Till next week...



References

ALC215 slides, 2013, Week 2.

Appadurai, A. (1990) ‘Disjuncture and Difference in the Global Cultural Economy’, Theory Culture Society, Sage Publications, London, vol. 7, p. 295.

Rantanen, T. 2005 ‘Theorizing media and globalization’, Media and globalization, Sage Publications, London, pp. 1-18

3 comments:

  1. In order to analyze globalization you have included ethnoscapes and migration. With the use of some historical events in your life you have explained some aspect of globalization, and how does globalization has affected your life. The use of the in text citations has also helped in incorporating the ideas of other scholars in the blog.
    The explanation of the term globalization in the introduction of your blog helps in pointing out the issue you are trying to raise. I really agree with your concept of ethnoscapes used in globalization since I also believe it mainly deals with the cross culture migration. One thing that I think that you need to expound most is with regard to the impact of globalization. This is because from what I know globalization has a wide range of impact in the society. After all I think your post is great! These are all my personal opinions , sorry if I am being critical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dean, your view of globalisation is something that I can really relate to, especially since my grandparents also migrated although from Italy not Greece. Writing about your blog from this point of view allowed a connection to be made with the reader as to how globalisation can affect other cultures, whether or not they currently reside in their country of birth. Your definitions of globalisation were fairly accurate and helped to add context to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is really well written and heavily informed! You were able to successfully reference a number of the readings appropriately and then by relating it back to your relatives and your grandparents migration was something I was able to relate to as both my parents (and my older brother) migrated to Sydney when they were younger. This post is really informative and it’s really easy to tell which scape you chose to focus on and how you related it to the topic of ‘flows and scapes of globalisation’. Great job! I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete